Pages

Sunday, August 11, 2024

Calling Elvis

 
Do you know Dire Straits`"Calling Elvis" from 1991? It´s just one tribute to Elvis among lots of them. Another celebration is U2´s visit to Graceland in their film "Rattle and Hum". Elvis Presley (1935-1977) is also known as "The King" and has been one of the most important rock singers of all times, but as I´m a late boomer and he wasn´t really hot when I was young, he has never been right in my focus. Of course I understood that his voice was extraordinary and expressive, and that fact asked for my respect, I just wasn´t a fan.

But of course I´ve had some favourite songs from him, like "In the ghetto". I´ve also read a good quote from him "It ain´t a song until you sing it" (1956) that I really like. 

Last week I´ve seen a documentation about seduction on ARTE, and of course there was a short passage about Elvis who brought black music to the masses very early and was hated for this, but it´s something very important for his time, and his anti-racist attitude is something that makes him much more interesting in my eyes. 

I think it´s impossible to not like or dislike him, whatever you want. What is YOUR personal Elvis story? 

For this week´s Sunday Postcard Art challenge themed Elvis, I´d like to see your Elvis cards and read your personal feelings about him. 

9 comments:

Barb said...

Great artwork, and I loved that song! :)

Deann said...

A great example and a fun original challenge. Thanks

Sim said...

Oh, what a beautiful card Marion! I love the postage stamp characters.
I have no particular history with Elvis. Like you, I wasn't a fan for a generational reason; but I recognize his great talent, his very attractive and charismatic physique, his out-of-the-ordinary personality and, above all, his role as a precursor which has rarely been equalled. Many thanks for this fun challenge that forced me to rack my brains :) !

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

Gillena Cox said...

Nice one. Happy Sunday.

much♡love

sirkkis said...

Informative and well done card, Marion xx

Michele said...

i love your art and i love your expressions about elvis. he was a talented performer who had a lot of personal struggles. for me, it is hard not to think about the musicians whose work did not get credit while he did. yet i also realize it was a function of the times. he was an iconic performer to be sure. thanks for inviting us to think about his legacy.

Rika said...

Tolle Karte!

katrin said...

Schööön geschrieben, und natürlich toll stempelmäßig umgesetzt.
Mit Elvis, Bill Haley, Chuck Berry, und Buddy Holly habe ich Rock'n Roll tanzen gelernt. Mein Vater war ein großer Fan. ;-) Unjd ich mag natürlich einige seiner berühmtesten Songs, die du auch genannt hast sehr gerne.
Ich musste stempelmäßig passen (und wollte auch nicht dieselben Stempel wie sabine + du verwenden...)
Liebe Grüße

peggy gatto said...

Love him!