Pages

Sunday, February 03, 2013

I Live My Life In Widening Circles

It´s not the first time that I´ve illustrated Rilke´s poem "I live my life in widening circles", but I couldn´t resist using it again for this week´s SPA challenge themed "Circles" ...
I know that it´s hard to read the handwritten words, so here they are again:

I live my life in widening circles
that reach out across the world.
I may not complete this last one
but I give myself to it.

(please forgive me that I´m an inch picker who has studied German literature, so please notice that the German original is quite different in verse 2:
Ich lebe mein Leben in wachsenden Ringen,
die sich über die Dinge ziehn. (- that overlay things instead of reach out across the world!)
Ich werde den letzten vielleicht nicht vollbringen,
aber versuchen will ich ihn.)

However, the English translation led me to use the map in my collage ... but originally Rilke doesn´t talk of the whole world but only of "things", and this time it isn´t a rhyme that needs the different translation, hmmmm.

14 comments:

Judy said...

A very creative take on the circles theme, Marion, fabulous art!

Gayle Page-Robak said...

This is uniquely beautiful. Excellent.

Annie said...

This is a beautifully created piece of art! Perfect perspective on the circle theme.

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Great design and artwork!

Martina said...

Hi Marion, schon lange nichts mehr voneinander gehört....
Deine SPA-Karte ist total cool! Gefällt mir sehr gut.
Hab noch einen schönen Sonntag. LG MARTINA

Linda Gibbons said...

This is a gorgeous and mivung piece, Marion. I love it!

Anjas-Artefaktotum said...

Den Frauenstempel finde ich auch super und die Kombination mit den Kreisen und vorallem mit dem geliebten Türkis gefällt mir sehr gut.
Bei solchen Übersetzungen bemerkt man, was wir für eine wunderbar differenzierte Sprache besitzen!
Meine Mutter war ein großer Rilke Fan, hab ich quasi schon mit der Muttermilch bekommen.*gg*!
Schönen Restsonntag,
LG Anja

Lorraine said...

hello again marion, lovely stamping and thanks for sharing that marvellous poem

Jeanette said...

Just fabulous. I love this.

sheila 77 said...

Lovely design with a background of great depth.

Angie said...

Fantastic! Love the way you tied in the poem with your mysterious and thought provoking art.

Debi said...

beautiful! debi x

bluegiraffe (Sherry) said...

A beautiful and thoughtful piece of art.

Sandra said...

jawoll, das ist perfekt, aber hallo. sehr schön... hach...