Pages

Monday, April 14, 2008

Untold Story of Love

My second entry in the "Untold Stories" book tells the story of a love - I really hope that some of these words have been spoken before W. H. Auden has lost his lover.
"Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone/ Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,/ Silence the pianos and with muffled drum/ Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.// Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead/ Scribbling on the sky the message He is Dead./ Put crepe bows round the white necks of the public doves/ Let the traffic policemen wear black gloves.// He was my North, my South, my East and West,/ My working week and my Sunday rest,/ My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;/ I thought that love would last forever: I was wrong.// The stars are not wanted now; put out every one,/ Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun,/ Pour away the ocean and sweep up the woods;/ For nothing now can ever come to any good.

This poem is so beautiful that it doesn´t even lose its beauty when translated to German:
"Anhalten alle Uhren, Telefon abstellen, der Hund mit seinem leckeren Knochen soll nicht bellen; keine Klaviere jetzt; laßt dumpf die Trommel rühren, den Sarg heraus zu begleiten, die Trauergäste zu führen.
Über unseren Köpfen sollen Flugzeuge kreisen und klagen und in den Himmel die Botschaft eintragen: Er ist tot. Den städtischen Tauben legt einen Flor um die weißen Kragen, die Verkehrspolizisten laßt schwarze Handschuhe tragen.
Er war mein Norden, mein Süden, mein Ost und mein West, meine Arbeitswoche, mein Sonntagsfest, mein Mittag, meine Mitternacht, mein Gespräch, mein Gesang; ich meinte, die Liebe daure ein Leben lang; das war falsch.
Die Sterne braucht es jetzt nicht: löscht das Licht ihnen allen; den Mond packt ein und die Sonne laßt fallen; Gießt den Ozean aus und den Wald reißt ein: Von jetzt an kann nichts mehr von Gutem sein." (translation by Hanno Helbling)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Marion, What an awesome poem... I am deeply touched by it... thank you so much for sharing it. And thank you for your kind comments on my grey piece... thankfully today was sunny and bright. Thank you for stopping by! all my best, Kathy

ute said...

Marion, ein sehr stimmungsvoller, berührender Text, danke für die Übersetzung ;-) bin schon auf weitere Seiten gespannt