Pages

Saturday, October 16, 2010

A is for Architecture

It´s been a while since I´ve posted the last spread in my own Alphabet Discovery Altered Book. Here´s my letter A spread illustrating not only the word architecture - the German words mean "I do not know my town any more", and this is the feeling that I know too well and that inspired these pages. Have you ever moved to another town and found that you´ve lost contact to what and whom you´ve left behind? Have you come back after years and years to find out that you don´t even remember the names of the streets in the quarter where you´ve lived? Have you ever mixed up streets or buildings or shops of the cities where you lived? (Well, this didn´t happen to me yet, but my mother does this all the time, so I´m sure it will happen to me when I´m over 80 ...) Did you ever walk along a street you believed to know well and then discovered that something had changed, but you couldn´t name it? You´ll find some places of my life in this spread - a map of Bremen on the right, a few silhouettes and a faux postage stamp of Cologne - but where is the home that I´ve posted in the left corner? Did I leave it behind somewhere or is it where I live now? Maybe it got lost on my way, or I´ll find it one day, or it´s just in my mind.

8 comments:

Von said...

What wonderful pages makes you wonder too :)
Von

Glenda said...

Fabulous pages Marion and yes I have moved over 20 times, think of all that packing and the last 6 have included all my craft stuff too LOL, my dear hubby is so wonderful. He just packs it on the truck and unpacks the boxes the other end!!!

Unknown said...

Great page. And I recognise the story. I left my birthplace over 20 years ago and my parents are still living there but so much has changed. When I come it goes like do you remember ...

Stephanie said...

Yay - I used what little German I know and translated your saying before reading your post - amazing! What a great spread. Love the textures and feeling of layers.

Purrplekatt said...

Gorgeous work! Yep that story sound too familiar. My sister moved away a few years back and when she comes home for visits she ends up lost every time. :)

roc said...

great job. i love the theme of architecture!

diana said...

hmm. ich hab vor ein paar Jahren das Dorf besucht in dem ich als Kind gelebt habe u. es hat mich doch sehr fasziniert was ich als Kind abgespeichert hatte u. noch erkannt habe und was eben nicht. Und dass ich mich momentan hier nun doch nicht so gut auskenne wie ich dachte, weißt Du ja: Du kennst die schwäbischen Lokale hier besser als ich :)
Liebe Grüße

diana said...

Vor lauter Überlegen das wichtigste vergessen: sehr schöne Seiten sind das!